Yes, the IR thermometer will show a lower temp on the outside of the case than
the cells are actually experiencing. However, it won't be too far off, and
since the charger stops the rapid charge cycle at about 104 degrees Fahrenheit,
a few more degrees one way or the other won't really make much of a difference.
The temperature rise is also fairly slow, as in several minutes per degree even
when the battery finally reaches full charge, so the thermal lag is minimal,
even though the plastic doesn't transfer the internal cell temp very well.

Bob M.
======