Dave,
I am not sure what your intended use of the repeater is, but you have
gotten lots of good advice. If you are looking for something to use at
your or a buddy's house, you can get by with a lot less investment
than if it is going up on a mountain top somewhere.

As was mentioned UHF or 900 MHz is a lot less costly to get started
with and you might be able to find a frequency. Duplexers cost penny's
on the dollar when compared to a VHF unit. For simplicity if you are
wanting to use a pair of mobiles, I would recommend Motorola SM50,
SM120 or GM300 radios. With the 16 pin plugs, they are a direct
plug-in to any of the ham controllers, or use one of the cables
available on EBay between them and you don't need a controller, if you
are just doing a back yard thing.

A lot of people are particular about antennas when used with a
duplexer and for good reasons. A duplexer can present certain
challenges for the antenna system and feedline that do not show up
under normal base station use. The other concern is how well the
radio's transmitter performs into a hi-q circuit like a duplexer
presents to the transmitter. Not all transmitters are happy
transmitting into a duplexer directly, that is where a circulator or
isolator comes in, it presents a nice 50 ohm load to the transmitter.

As was also mentioned, heliax or good double shielded silver plated
braid for cables and silver plated connectors and adapters are a must,
especially for UHF and 900 MHz and above. Good tight mechanical
connections on all antenna mounting hardware and tower/mast is a must.
Loose or rusty and corroded metal parts, nuts bolts..etc on the tower
or mast can produce noise and possibly desense with a duplexer. I
mention this again, because this is where I find 90% of problems with
amateur repeaters that are performing poorly or not at all.

Good luck with your project.

Joe - WA7JAW