Many thanks for all the replies and the expertise that this list is known
for.
Maybe "excellent" wasn't the best choice of words to describe the Kenwood TKR
battery backup system,  but here are some of the reasons why we like it:
    The switchover circuit and the trickle charger are builit in, there are
convenient
screw terminals for the battery, and there is a convenient alert tone system
(although
I'm not sure it works when external controllers are used).  All this without
cobbling up
external relays, diodes, resistors, heavy-duty connectors, etc. that I've done
in the past,
with mixed results.
    I thought the Wal-Mart marine battery was meant for DC trolling motors,
hence "deep
cycle," but we will give consideration to the golf cart bateries that many of
you mentioned.
The intent was to replace the battery every 3 or 4 years.  I have a Wal-Mart
marine battery
presently in use with a commercial Kenwood TKR where I used to work. We put it
in a
sealed case, cut a hole and attached a 3/4" hose that runs outside.  We hope
that will
vent most acid fumes, gasses, etc outside of the building.
    Our present sites have generator backup, although the generators have been
known
to fail when most needed.  In these cases we hope the battery will keep things
going
until we get there to replace fuses, fix the generator, hookup our own Honda,
etc.
    I might add that we do have  Samlex 20A supplies in each repeater's
cabinet. Another
use of the battery-backup would be in the event that lightning disabled the
Samlex's.
    Thanks again!
                            Chappy kd4ss