The Vertex is a good commercial repeater but be careful.
There were two versions & differ mainly in the PA section.

The older version had a bipolar xsistor PA while the newer has a rf
hybrid module.

Neither of those repeaters is 100% duty cycle unless you cut the
power in half & even then I'd be wary of HD use.

The older Vertex would overheat the collector lead & unsolder itself
while burning the pcb. Much the same as the GR300s/Maxtracs & 1225's.

The newer Vertex is still a bit tender when presented with a poor swr
& heat.

It has a fairly sensitive receiver which can be tuned a little better
in software. If it'll go to the ham band is unknown to me. Haven't
tried.

I will put one on the bench in the afternoon and see if it will.

I don't have anything to say about the Kenwood 851 because I haven't
put one in service.

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "John Transue"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I see several Vertex Standard VXR-7000 repeaters and one or two
Kenwood TKR-851 repeaters for sale on eBay. Are these good repeaters
for a ham repeater? Do they have known weaknesses or defects?