From: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Al Wolfe
To: <mailto:Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:25 AM
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Shutting Down Battery Back up
Scott,
You are of course correct about hooking the PA directly to the battery,
there being no reason to disconnect it.
There are undoubtedly many good reasons to consider a more sophisticated
disconnect method than the simple relay circuit described when the ulimate
in power saving is needed. However, I wonder what percentage of the folks on
this list have the technical acumen to design a circuit like this, let alone
trying to gather all the parts for it.
The cutout circuit of the solar charge controller you mention does look
interesting and the kit for $55 might easily be adaptable to be used in a
repeater disconnect application.
However, I still feel that the extremely simple relay circuit I
described will do the job as it has for me in several applications for many
years. With only three or four parts there is very little to fail. When the
box it up on the hill I don't want to have to run up there every time there
is a nearby lightning strike.
The 100 ma. figure is typical of some of the Rat Shack relays. There are
many that pull much less current available.
Al, K9SI