Here in East Texas (near Crockett to be exact) I have to use APRS to see if
my 2m antenna/rig still works.  I'm RX only (no license) so I can't see if
the area's listed repeaters actually still work.  My old Kenwood TR7400A
doesn't have PL anyways :)

One of these days I'll get around to taking the test.  It's depressing when
the only local ham radio group in the county's weekly net only has 4
check-ins.

I personally don't see much future in amateur radio in its current path.  I
personally don't think d-star is going to magically adjust the path.  What
we need is something that's socially acceptable in 2008.  Squawkbox HTs
don't cut it.  You need trunking, smart roaming, full duplex with echo
canceling, and a proper control system that includes not having to verbally
repeat your callsign like a kid with Tourettes syndrome.

Basically, what I'm suggesting here is an (inter)national trunking system,
similar to a cellular system with a local conference method, and using
(logically) the internet (or at least IP) as its backbone.  No more dinking
around with echolink, no more begging to use an autopatch, no coordination
problems since this would logically include AFS and TPC.  Imagine *just* the
public safety/emergency uses?  No more "sorry bill, didn't mean to key up on
top of you" issues.

Look at your cell phone.  It's cute, it's stupid, but it sure is damned
useful and easy to use.  Also, they're attractive enough to draw almost 50%
of the world population.  Why haven't hams taken the *next* step in this
direction?

IDEN without the IDUH?  Come on, who's with me?  [ducking shots from cellcos
and cellco vendors]

JS