  From: Scott
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Cc: Scott Overstreet
  Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:20 PM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Rat Track Solvent?

  Hello All

  I said OK to an invitation to fix a repeater that suddenly quit after years
of trouble free service. Found a critical wire chewed in two and several more
"almosts". The fixes were easy but a problem remains in the cleanup.

  Rat trash and droppings (OK to read as a common four letter word) swept and
vacuumed out easily but the brown "tracking" residue remaining on the base
surfaces and trails is resistant to everything I have tried----water, dish and
laundry detergents straight and with water, 409, alcohol, "Goo-off" and paint
thinner. The crud releases from vinyl wire with a lot of scrubbing using one of
the detergents and water but nothing I have tried lifts the crud at all from a
painted, galvanized or plated metal surface.

  What works?---any and all practical suggestions will be tried and their
performance reported.

  Thanks much--

  Scott, N6NXI