If I remember correctly the Portable Mobile II used ICOMS for the channel elements. Just like in the PE series radios.

David

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Milt wrote:

PortaMobile series 2 was based on the GE PE series portables. ICM or Bomar
should be able to do the rocks.  Batteries or a power supply will most
likely be the problem although the supply of parts for the portable on which
the radio is based is limited.

Good luck it's a nice piece of history.

Milt
N3LTQ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Radio Guy" < ve3...@gmail. com <mailto:ve3...@gmail.com> >
To: < Repeater-Builder@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com> >
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 10:40 AM
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Lunch Box Radio

Any one familiar with the GE Porta Mobile two? It is a low band radio, and I would like to have it converted to the 6m band. I send it to a local shop that was familiar with GE products back in the day, they say it is in very good shape. Any ideas on a company that could make the crystals? Is this a worth while project? Showing hams this radio always brings a smile to their faces,a portable radio that is bigger then most HF mobiles! The tech said... "if we need to change out caps, it would be a job for younger eyes!"