I help to maintain a VHF public safety paging system.  It is completely
stand-alone with no dependency on telephone circuits or power.
(Critical sites are on generator, sites are linked via RF).  During a
major disaster we can stay on the air and dispatching without depending
on the infrastructure.  During a major disaster such as a hurricane or
ice storm, most of the cellular networks will be of the air in short
time due to their use of phone lines or fiber cable for T1 circuits to
the sites.  Think Katrina.......

73, Joe, K1ike