Do you just want to build a repeater for the sheer fun, joy of a
project? If so, I have a post on my web page about my Mitrek conversion
project:

http://jonathan.con.musc.edu/weltonj/Amateur_radio_emergency_communic.ht

Instead of modifying a single unit, I used two Mitreks 1 for RX, the
other for TX and set them up so I could swap them, e.g. if the TX final
blows. It took me, oh, 50-60 hours altogether just tinkering to get it
right.

If you're looking to put up a repeater to meet a particular
communications goal, and don't have a lot of time for a build, then the
Kenwood TKR850 + RC210 controller for a bit under $2,000 is hard to
beat.

John/N4SJW

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "lou_c1357" <lou_c1...@...>