> "va3rzs" <va3r...@...> wrote:
> Looking to put the 220 repeater on the controller
> has any one done this ?
> Thanks for any and all help
> Rick

I've seen external repeater controller connections made on/to
Icom Repeaters in a number of different ways... and of course
it depends what the model number and era the repeater was
made.

The early Icom Amateur Repeaters are defined by me to be the
ones with small on board uP controllers, which require Eprom
programming for the IDer. And I've seen two different versions
of the "early Eprom Icom Repeater Controller boards". *The
processor chip defines the Eprom size and ID programming location.
I can, do and have reprogramed the Eprom ID chip information
to/for anyone willing to pay the return postage.

In some models/versions the early repeaters are crystal frequency
based and the offset in the case of the 1290MHz units was not
changed without a modification (which I was told is/was available).

Later Icom Repeaters had synthesized frequency and ID setup
(programming) via dip switches and a few other hoops.

Interface on the late Icom Repeaters was easier to some degree
as there was an interface jack built right into/onto the back
of the cabinet.

I've seen two external controller interface methods applied to
the Icom Repeaters. The first was to completely disable the
internal (early) uP Board COR/COS logic and make most of the
connections to the audio RF and cos there/nearby.

Depending on who's mod I've seen... sometimes the original
tech would install interface transistors/fets at logic locations
coming right off what I consider critical part locations.
These buffer/inverter devices (transistors/fets) were used
to isolate the direct uP chip output logic line for CTCSS
and or COS.  Just depended on what controller was in the repeater
and who was doing the mod.

I haven't seen a super clean mod for the older repeaters
but everyone I've been exposed to (so far) didn't break
anything (cause a failure).

I looked around the RB site for this subject information and
there is surprisingly little around (yet). I'll continue to
look around and I do still have one of those modified Icom
(early) repeaters on the shelf. The $%^&#*@ synthesizers crapped
out on two repeaters I have here and of course you can't
get parts to fix them.

back after this commercial message...

cheers,
skipp