Off the top of my head, one Repeater here does full POCSAG meaning
anyone can get a real old fashioned UHF pager with the group and
individual CAP codes programmed into it and receive full text
messages.  Messages can be sent via a DTMF cheat sheet that allows the
full ASCII character table via a phone call to the Repeater controller
or someone built a VB app to translate from text using any standard
modem by having it dial up the controller and do the necessary DTMF.

Not sure if you'd call it paging, but there's another local system
with 6 or 7 121.5/243.0 "airport ELT" monitors that listens for a
multitude of DTMF sequences from those monitors to trigger an alert
mode, add a second CTCSS tone to the output, and voice announce which
airport is alerting, while also opening and closing audio from the
mountaintop 121.5 and 243.0 receivers inbetween search team
transmissions.  The individual monitors also speak the airport
identifier, the alert frequency and the relative signal strength in
uV.  The whole DTMF ball of wax is monitored by an off-mountain Linux
box with a receiver on the Repeater's output and hardware DTMF
detector for doing secondary alerts via email/SMS.

--
Nate Duehr
Sent from my iPhone