I agree with this - example being that there's a repeater that's fairly
distant to me (easily managable from the house, but quite difficult from
a car until I'm about 10 miles closer to it than I am at home). There's
also 2 repeaters that are really distant and can vary depending on
conditions.

All 3 of these repeaters operate as mentioned here  - If I key up and
let go, there's a tiny bit of carrier as I unkey. If the carrier's too
badly broken, I don't give my call, as it wouldn't make it in anyway and
would just be plain annoying.

One of these repeaters needs a fairly long over before it actually opens
fully and IDs itself. New users (including myself at one point) find
this annoying, thinking that it's not working. I still forget
occasionally to length my call by giving it in phonetics, and have to
re-do it to make it long enough to open the repeater.

The local UHF repeater opens fully at any 1750Hz tone or CTCSS on the
input, which means someone kerchunking it, or not making it in fully,
results in 10-15 seconds silent carrier and the full ID every time (It's
nearly 2KHz off frequency too, but that's just it's age!).

By comparison, the last repeater round here to not have CTCSS is a
complete pig to open - deliberate or otherwise - and this results in
virtually zero use.