It would help if you would post a schematic showing how you are wiring it,
and what is is you are wanting to do. When you said there is only 1/2 volt
difference between on and off, it indicates that your transistor is wired
incorrectly.

Working from memory (and that is suspect!), you wouldn't need any resistors
in the collector-emitter circuit, just a resistor in the base circuit for
current limiting, and another from the base to the emitter for bias.
Additionally, if you are switching a relay, you'd need a reverse biased
diode across the relay coil (if there isn't one internally) to prevent
damage to the transistor. I don't think you'd need a relay to switch PTT on
a MastrII, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

A typical repeater controller uses an open collector transistor to switch
external devices, which is a fancy way of saying that the transistor acts
like a switch, and can be used to switch PTT. When the transistor is turned
on by the controller CPU, it simply pulls the PTT line to ground, thereby
keying the transmitter. Without looking up the specs of a Com port, I
couldn't say if it can be used for that, especially since I don't know which
control signal you are using. Someone else mentioned using the printer port
and it seems to me that it would be ideal for your application.

Richard
 <http://www.n7tgb.net/> www.n7tgb.net

  _____