On Apr 24, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Eric Lemmon wrote:

> The insurance required by most commercial site managers is liability
> insurance to cover injuries, damages, and lost revenue that could be
> caused
> by a Ham repeater.

Eric, if you've found any insurance that doesn't contain an injury
liability waiver, at any price even close to "affordable" for a hobby
club/organization --let us know where you found it.

No commercial site I've seen requires anything other than liability
insurance, which more often than not explicitly states it *never*
covers injuries of any kind.  Check your policy.  The last one I
looked at from Marsh either had no coverage or a limit that was so low
it wouldn't even cover the Ambulance ride.

"ARRL" via Marsh, offers both club liability coverage and also
equipment coverage.  Neither of which are all that great.  The
liability policies don't cover legal expenses, for example.  So you're
likely to run up a legal bill larger than your entire organization's
bank account, if you ever actually have to defend the organization
against a large liability lawsuit.

And one of the "gotchas" of the equipment coverage is that if you read
the fine print it requires that ALL gear, in service or not, owned by
the organization be covered.  This includes spares, etc.

In theory: If they cover your gear at the site, it gets damaged, and
they find out later that your organization has other gear in storage
that was NOT covered -- the entire contact could be nullified.  (By
the way I read it anyway.)   Ostensibly this is how they afford their
"low" rates.  Everything you own must be covered, to pay for the ONE
thing that got damaged.  Which is the normal insurance risk spreading
technique...

Buyer beware, when it comes to insurance.  Lawyers spent a lot of time
with those documents making sure you won't get what you think you're
paying for, unless you read the policy!  :-)

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com