Quite by accident, I discovered the cause of a bogus "station status - major
failure" LED indication on one of my MTR2000 stations.  A major failure is
present when the Station Status LED comes on as steady red after bootup.
According to the Installation and Operation Manual 6881096E20, a steady red
indication has four possible causes:

1.  RX or TX synthesizer out of lock
2.  PA failure
3.  RF power cutback greater than 10 dB
4.  Self-test failure

Well, I found a fifth cause that escaped the Motorola Infrastructure Depot
repair technicians:  Optional module mismatch.  One of my spare MTR2000
repeaters was equipped with the CLN1206 Auxiliary I/O Board, and I had
pulled it out to use at another location.  Months later, when I tried to put
the spare unit into service, I got the dreaded major failure indication.  I
had a spare Station Control Module, but installing it made no difference.
Since the station was still under warranty, I shipped it back to the depot
for repair.  The depot duplicated the anomaly, and replaced the power
supply.  The repair technician also noted that the station was programmed to
have the Auxiliary I/O Board installed, but since it was missing, he
programmed the SCM to show no optional boards installed.  He then performed
a full diagnostic check with no problems.  I suspect that he assumed that
the power supply was defective, and did not make the connection to the
programming mismatch.  The depot technicians use a different CPS than users
like me have.

Several months later, I was prepping the same station for installation at
another site, and I had plugged a spare Auxiliary I/O Board into the
optional cage before powering it up.  Once again, I got the same steady red
LED indication after bootup.  While contemplating my choices, since the
warranty had expired, I again tried swapping the Station Control Module,
with no effect.  Then, I tried pulling the Auxiliary I/O Board and
re-booting.  Bingo!  Further experimentation revealed that a major failure
LED indication will occur if an Auxiliary I/O Board is installed in the
station when the programming says that slot is vacant, or if that module is
missing when the station programming says it is installed.

It is likely that a similar anomaly will occur when other optional modules
are concerned, but I have not tested that hypothesis.  Live and learn!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY