--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Nate Duehr" <n...@...> wrote:

> The above CRAP jobs are often why hams aren't welcome at commercial
> sites.  I hate it when hams do this.  Had to vent.  There were some
> "newbies" along on the trip, and I think they got the point when I
> stated, "If you ever install anything that looks this HamSexy at a
> commercial radio site, and don't keep the kiddie-show to your back-yard
> repeater, I'm personally coming to your house to kick your ass."

Nate,
I have an amateur VHF P25 machine at a public safety site.  I have to agree
that you need to "look the part" if you want to retain access to the prime real
estate.   My entire rack is built to R56, right down to using a 15 ton
hydraulic Burndy crimper for the battery and ground lugs.

Here's another example: There is a Motorola Nucleus paging transmitter on
152.0075 MHz co-resident with my VHF machine.   We took the time to obtain
permission install a set of cavities and a Snclair circulator panel on the
Nucleus.  To make up for the loss from the panel and cavities,  The 1/2
hardline feedline was replaced with 7/8 at my expense.  Result:  no pager
interference, and the Nucleus is now clean and happy.

End result, Site staff is happy - so happy when I asked if I could install a
DSL line, I was given access to the internet, with a static IP on a T3 pipe.

Martin