> Ok, now lets do the opposite. Set the spec analyzer to 147.1 & tune
> it up. Set up the sig gen @ 147.7 & UH OH, 2.5dB loss.

The stubs (which I take it you removed) alter the pass response.  They're
really notch cavities.  Adding the stubs will change the response adjacent
to the notch from "high pass" to "low pass".  Many notch cavities designs
are truly a notch; they have somewhat of a high-pass or low-pass effect.

> Am I doing something wrong?

Well, the only thing you're doing wrong (or maybe just haven't done yet) is
look at what the return loss is.  I'd be willing to bet that between the
wrong harness cable lengths and the missing stubs that the return loss is
pretty poor, especially with all eight cavities connected together.

                                        --- Jeff WN3A