Some lightning facts:

There is no amount of grounding that will help protect an antenna from
lightning damage.
Grounding will not help an antenna or tower from being struck by lightning.
However if a lightning rod is placed above the antenna or a wire sloping
down from above and around the antenna it will intercept a lightning strike
and prevent the antenna from being hit. It would be important to have the
lightning rod/wire well bonded to the tower and the tower well grounded.

A well grounded tower and antenna bonded well to the tower will help prevent
damage to other equipment tied to the antenna. Also feedlines should be well
bonded to the tower at top and bottom.

Ground rod surface area is much less important than length. Extra surface
area contributes little to rod effectiveness.

Too long of a ground rod and the extra length becomes ineffective due to the
high inductance of the long length.

Several ground rods spaced approximately the sum of the length of two
adjacent rods is most effective.

A good lightning ground consist of a low impedance, low resistance and high
capacitance coupling to earth.
Lightning is composed of very low (DC) and high frequencies (peak at around
1 MHz).

If many ground rods are used in a star configuration, it is not necessary to
use large wire connecting all the rods as the lightning energy will be
divided between all paths so less current flows on any individual wire.

If ground rods are placed in a star configuration it does no good to add
rings of wire connecting the rods together. The lightning energy travels in
a straight line out away from the tower on each radial and each radial
carries equal current. So there is no difference of potential between rods
or radials.

Copper strap for ground connections will reduce the inductance thus lowering
the impedance of the path.

A separate heavy copper wire or strap running down a tower tied to the
antenna to ground is a waste of copper. The tower itself is a much lower
inductance path than what a separate ground wire provides.

73
Gary  K4FMX