Some thoughts from past experience.

Sinclair Q202 cans are not high pass OR low pass, they are both.  They
have 2 notches, one on either side of the pass, separated by typically
10 MHz more or less.  The 2 notches move as a pair by varying the series
capacitance on the loop.  The more capacity the lower they are.  A low
capacity places the lower of the two notches close to the low side of
the pass and gives you a high-pass can.  Higher capacity lowers the
notches until the higher notch is close to the high side of the pass and
yields a low-pass can.

The value of the capacitance you need for a VHF Hi-band is 1-30 pF,
adjusted typically to less than 10 pF for a high-pass config and 20-30
pF for a low-pass config.

One more very important consideration.  The Q of the loop series
capacitance must be very high (1000+) to get a good deep notch.  Most
capacitors do not qualify.  The Johanson variable caps (5600 series)
used in the VHF Q202 cans have a Q of 800+ (at 250MHz), higher at
150MHz.  The UHF cans use Johanson  1-10pf variable caps (5200 series)
with a Q or 5000+ (at 250 MHz). If you think about parallelling the
variable with a fixed cap, the only fixed caps I know of with sufficient
Q are silver mica units.  The bare uninsulated UNELCO brand transmitting
caps work well. Other brands may also work but ceramic capacitors
definitely do not have enough Q for this application.  The other
alternative I have used at times on VHF cans is to parallel 3 1-10 pF
Johanson variables.  One advantage of this is that 1-10pf Johanson
trimmers are common in surplus for 50c-1$ whereas 1-30pf caps are very
rare in surplus and new cost is upwards of $15 (my Scottish ancestry is
showing:-)

Good luck in your experiments.

Burt  VE2BMQ

NORM KNAPP wrote:
> Ok, it is official. I have a set of sinclair Q202 duplexers that didn't come
> as a set. At least two of the cans have different serial numbers and
> different factory tuned frequncies. DRAT! Ok, so here is the problem. With my
> trusty Aeroflex 2945 (I think that is the model) I can easily get a -35db
> notch on each of the hi pass cans at 147.825 pass and 147.225 notch. No
> problem with that side. Ok, the problem is on the low pass pair (mix-mached I
> am sure). I can barely get a -30db notch on each can even if I spin the
> loops. So, just out of (morbid) curiocity, I pulled the loop out of one just
> to show a fellow ham what was in there. Lo and behold there was a 12pf cap
> soldered accoss the notch tune cap. Hmmmm... What would happen if I took this
> cap off there since to get the -30db notch the tuning cap is almost screwed
> all the way out (min capacitance). So I got out the soldering iron and
> removed it. It worked, sort of. I was able to get a -35db notch on my lo pass
> (147.225 pas
s 147.825 notch) side, but at the expense of some pass loss higher than the
high pass side. What happend is it seemed to make the low pass can into a high
pass can. The notch went to the other side of the pass. I spun the loop to get
the best result and tuned the notch cap near its max capacitance to get the
notch wher it should be. It worked barely and with a bit more loss in the pass.
I am thinkin I may need to go back and put a 6pf cap accross the notch tune to
get it where I want it, but I am not sure. On the second can of the lo pass
high notch side I tried to remove the cap, but it didn't turn out the same. The
loop inside it was not silver plated like the previous can, it was just plain
copper and appeared to be a bit longer. When I removed the cap on this can, the
notch went to the low side of the pass and I couldn't get it to come back
around. I will definitly have to try a 6pf cap accross the notch tune cap on
this one.