> Here's a seldom-talked about issue: "effective sensitivity" .

Actually, it's talked about fairly regularly here, and there are several
articles on the web site about it including how to measure it.

> That's why I think it's important to be able to routinely
> monitor the noise level at the site (see my previous note on
> S-meters).

Only downside is that you don't know what it is you're measuring.  If you
see a drop in noise level, what does that tell you?  It could mean that it's
a good thing, or it could mean it's a bad thing.  If your antenna goes bad,
or if you get water in a connector, the noise level may go down
substantially.  You might leave the site fat dumb and happy...

                                        --- Jeff WN3A