John Sehring wrote:

> The only possible problem with this design is feeding a balanced antenna
> (the folded dipole) with unbalanced feed.  This will lead to some amount
> of feedline radiation; yes, it is using coax which is shielded but the
> unwanted RF current in this situation flows on the _outside_ of the
> coax, on the shield.
>
> Yes, this is a commercially successful design, but I've got to wonder...

Don't knock success.  There are thousands of such antennas in operation
and nobody complains about RF currant on the outside of the coax.

> I think a better way would be to use a half-wave section of 50 coax as a
> combination 4:1 impedance transformer _and_ balun.  Details in almost
> any ARRL Antenna Handbook.

But can you weatherproof it for commercial usage?

> The only catch to this approach is that the folded dipole element must
> be designed to yield 200 ohms rather than the more common 300 ohms
> impedance, so that the 4:1 transform yields 50 ohms.  Again, older
> versions of the ARRL Ant. Hdbk have details on doing this; it has to do
> with the element diameter & element spacing.  However, mounting of the
> antenna on a tower leg or equiv. may reduce the impedance from 300 ohms
> enough all by itself.

 From my experience, the folded dipole impedance only starts to drop
when you get closer than 1/4 wavelength from the mounting mast.  1/4 or
1/2 wave makes no significant difference on the impedance.  Sinclair's
110C1 low band antenna is however mounted about 1/8 wave from the
support and has a different matching coax internally (less than 100ohm I
think).

> When scaling antennas to other frequencies, pay close attention to the
> physical scaling.  On 1.2 GHz, RF "things" can get quirky.  Do not cut
> specific-length lines (e.g. phasing lines) using a ruler & the cable's
> alleged velocity factor, that can be quite a way off.  I use a noise
> bridge instead or network analyzer.

The design that I showed on the web page was for 2m and 220.  I tried
making a UHF array with the same 3/4 in diameter tubing and it was
really flakey.  I found it easier to work with 3/8in tubing at UHF.

I did think about making 900 or higher dipoles with copper tubing type
hardline like 0.141 in stuff used for microwave lines.  I could not
figure out how to change the impedance with the normally available 50
ohm stuff.  It never got beyond the thinking stage.

Burt  VE2BMQ