Lower deviation = less range?  Lower deviation = "more punch"?

Actually both are correct.

The static [bench-test] performance of narrowband radios often shows some S/N
improvement vs. wideband, however, there is more to intelligibility [DAQ] than
a simple bench test indicates.

The signal dynamics of a multi-path, faded, real world coverage environment are
what causes the degradation of the narrowband analog format compared to
wideband analog.

A study of TSB-88 is highly recommended for those who want additional details.