Thanks everyone for the advice.

When we got the antenna it had been up for 10 years or more at 350 feet.

The fiberglass on the coil section was practically destroyed and the joints
were very loose.

We cleaned all the corrosion off the metal, re-fiber-glassed the section to
seal it and used no-ox.

Then when it was re-assembled, I sprayed it with clear polyurethane and then
screwed the sections together to try and tighten them up besides having the
hose clamps on them.

It still wobbles and I believe there is something wrong inside the
fiber-glassed section and that is what is causing some or all the trouble with
noise on incoming signals.

It is really funny that when the transmitter transmits the controller messages
it is perfectly clear and readable, no matter what power level we are at. But,
let a user come in we have the repeater set at over 10 watts out of repeater
and the noise is horrible.

Replacing the antenna would be just another step in trying to figure all this
out.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It looks like we may have to wait until the
club can come up with the money to buy that DB antenna and just run it a low
power.

73
John