J wrote:
> Has anyone converted any of the commercial (GE/Motorola) radios to the 220
> band?  If so what works and what doesnt.  I need several 225 radios and
> thought this might be a route to go.

I have converted MASTR II Mobiles, both multiplier and PLL exciter, with
standard receivers to 220 MHz. - they work fine, the PLL is easier.
There are preferred instructions on the MASTR II conversion site:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/geindex.html#220

For the M2 with a PLL exciter, Scott sells a complete conversion kit:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/MIIconversionkit.html

The PA's won't convert, but there is an easy fix:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/ampbd.html

I have converted MICOR Mobiles and Stations to 220 MHz. - they also work
fine.  There are preferred instructions on the MICOR conversion site:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/micor-index.html#220
Helical Resonators modified for 220 operation are available here:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/

The PA's won't convert, but again - never fear, the amp board is the
solution:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/ampbd.html

Any of the above radios can be converted to 220 MHz and achieve book
specification sensitivity on the new band.  My favorite is the MICOR.

Hope this helps...
Kevin Custer