On Oct 18, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Jed Barton wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm working with a group and have given them several suggestions for
> repeaters on 220 including hipro, ge, moto, etc.
> One thing i don't know much about is the kendecom, and thought i
> would ask
> since they want to know.
> As far as relyability, good, bad?

Reliability: Looking inside ours, at the quality of the components, I
would have given it only a few years before it fried.  Surprisingly
it's been up for way over 10 years now.  Maybe 20?  Originally
installed when novices were given 220 MHz voice priveleges, hard
linked to 2m, so they could talk to the higher license classes.

We keep "meaning to" replace it with a converted MASTR II, but it
hasn't forced us to make it a priority, if you catch my drift.

Complaints match Kevin and other's comments:

Squelch action, crappy.  Seriously crappy.  Way too much hysteresis
means you have to crank it way up to get any kind of decent squelch
action.

RX is relatively deaf, but workable with a pre-amp.  (220 is so darn
QUIET, it's hard NOT to hear signals... so "it works", but it could
work a LOT better.)

Like almost everyone else, the club's main techs at the time, ripped
out/bypassed the internal controller.  It was so long ago, I wasn't
even a Ham back then (prior to 1991 for sure!) and did a custom
interface to an S-Com controller.  Sounds like they'll do it for you
at the factory these days.

The really annoying one for us has been this:

TX frequency stability is very poor.  We have to put it back on TX
frequency on a regular basis (annually at least).  The potentiometer
quality used for this adjustment is abysmal and gets worse to fiddle
with every year it gets older.  Another one of those dilemmas... "mess
with it and put in a multi-turn pot, or just replace the whole thing
with a GE?"...

(We just had our first "neighbor" pair on 220 utilized in the area,
and the owner is someone I know.  He noted that we're off frequency in
his direction (this time) a little bit, and I promised him I'd go
tweak the thing again at first opportunity.)

Oh... almost forgot about this one:

Getting the cover off and working on the thing in a rack-mount
environment is a complete PITA.  Put a rack shelf under it for when
you need to get at the guts.  Have a place to put all the little
screws (or ditch half of them and never put them back) and make your
cabling long enough to turn the thing upside down on the shelf if you
have to troubleshoot the underside of any of the circuit boards.

Ours took a lightning hit -- again, more than ten years ago -- which
toasted some of the metering circuitry, making the pretty little
meters on the front, somewhat useless in some modes of the switches.
Unbelievable that it survived, it has ball lightning marks at the
screw holes in the front in the blue paint, to this day.  Oh, by the
way... lesson learned... scrape the pretty blue paint off around those
holes and get down to bare metal before shooting your rack screws into
it.  Waste of pretty blue paint, since you want your rack rails
properly grounded to the repeater's case anyway.

Four or five years ago, we found a dried out capacitor in the audio
chain that caused it to sound horrible.

(Perhaps that's why Bob can always tell them, and other people rave
about their audio... again, low quality components...) It was a chore
to follow the audio chain through the thing (upside down) with a scope
to find the stage that was dead.  Once found, and replaced, it popped
back to the usual good quality audio we were used to hearing out of it.)

My plan has always just been to replace it... everything else in the
network other than the 1.2 GHz analog machine, is GE MASTR II's... no
reason not to continue the "standardization process" eventually, when
other more pressing issues are completed.  Working on the MASTR II's
is just easier.

It'd make a good "basement/backyard" repeater.  On a mountain, in
tight working quarters in a rack, it's a pain, and the build quality
just isn't what we like to use.

The MASTR II shelves are MADE to drop them open and work on them on-
site... etc.  Why fight with it?  It ever dies, it's not getting
repaired to go back to the hill.

That's probably enough.  I won't "bash" them completely, but I
wouldn't put another into service.  Especially not at their "very
proud of this blue box" NEW pricing.  Ouch.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com

http://facebook.com/denverpilot