I received the below text from a non group member... who
was at one time very active in Amateur Repeaters.
His opinion and some technical ideas...
enjoy,
s.

[pasted text]

In my repeater days I went both ways.  Started by wanting
to add anything that showed the repeater to be "more
advanced".  We had custom-recorded audio IDs, and at one
point, over 500 "repeaterisms" - semi-humourous statements
read in any of several celebrity voices...most had to do with
repeaters, like "Talkest thou not excessive in length, lest
the timepiece of the gods shuttest thou up", in a Charlton
Heston-esque voice.  Some were mere clips from 60s-era TV
"I'm tryin' to think but nothin's happenin!" in Curly's
voice, etc.  But in truth, none can be very long and we
grew tired, in just a few months, of the sound bites.

The system we ended up with in Kalamazoo that I liked best
was "simple plus diagnostics". We had a courtesy beep and it
was the diagnostic reporter.  If the incoming signal was
more than 500Hz low in carrier frequency, then the beep
started at normal pitch, then dropped a whole step.  At
larger offsets in frequency, the beep dropped further in
pitch.  High frequency carriers would engender a pitch shift
upwards.  Of course, this was in the days when most rigs were
controlled by a separate xtal per channel, therefore having
one of them off, but the others correct wasn't uncommon.  For
users who were over-deviated, the courtesy beep got louder
and was square-wave modulated at 100Hz...a raspy sound.  For
users whose modulation measured low, the courtesy beep "beeped",
that is, it went to a series of dits that slowed down until they
stopped.  The diagnostic mode was enabled any time the repeater
had gone more than ten minutes without a transmission of over a
minute in length.  We had implemented a "voice back" mode where
the repeater played back the last 15 seconds of a received
transmission, so people could hear the actual sound of their
audio, but not a lot of users liked it, so we shut it off.

Nowadays, I just notice what repeaters do or don't do.  Around
here, it seems that simplicity is the buzzword.  A simple
courtesy beep is the most any of them seem to have.  The
exception is that some of them use a voice ID and indicate
what the correct subaudible tone to use is.  Back in SR, a
couple of the local repeaters also had the occasional voice announcement
indicating club meeting times/dates and when the
club net occurred on the repeater.