At 1/17/2010 01:13 PM, you wrote:
>Greg,
>
>Trying to combine both vertical and horizontal separation will not help; the
>horizontal will completely swamp the vertical.  As soon as you move the
>transmit antenna out from directly under the receive antenna, the isolation
>decreases dramatically.  Even a few feet of horizontal displacement will
>have a major influence.
>
>For example, CommShop recommends 86 dB isolation for your system with a 20
>watt transmitter and a 0.25 uV receiver.  That isolation can be achieved
>with about 190 feet of vertical separation, one antenna directly above and
>in line with the other, or about 16,200 feet of horizontal separation.

There's a 2 meter repeater about 3000' from my home running ~25 watts.  I
just checked to see if there's any measurable desense caused by that
repeater to my FT-8500 radio 600 kHz away.  I do see ~ 1 dB - barely
noticeable.  The desense is in the form of front-end compression, so any
decent RX like a Mastr II or Micor wouldn't be bothered at all.

Adding a modest amount of pass cavity filtering to the TX & RX can
dramatically reduce the amount of antenna separation needed.  My very first
repeater used 2 antennas separated 50' horizontally with a single pass
cavity on the TX.  The transceiver was all tube & the RX antenna was a beam
nulled into the TX antenna.  I had to retune the TX about once every 2
weeks & keep the sharp null of the Yagi on the TX antenna, but when this
was done there was no desense.

Bob NO6B