From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com <Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com <Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon Feb 01 10:20:59 2010
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Building a notch duplexer with notch cans.

Gentlemen:

For those wishing to convert a BP cavity to operate as both a BP and notch
cavity there exists a simple and convenient way to do so with out having to do
surgery on the innards of the cavity.
One only needs two 1/2 WL of coax (must be double shielded, can be RG-214 but I
prefer an equivalent Teflon type) with connectors on one end to mate with two
Tee connectors, one on each of the input and output of the BP cavity, and a
high quality variable capacitor of 1-15pF, preferably quartz.
The center conductors of the two open coax ends are connected in series with
the variable capacitor. The shields of the coax must be securely connected
together. I used a small 1" square of PCB material to solder the two shields
together and to support the capacitor. Using Teflon coax makes this much
easier. The 1/2 WL of each coax is measured from the center of one Tee adapter
to the jct of the variable cap taking into account the VP of the coax.
The variable cap series resonates with the inductance of the two loop
assemblies and can provide a notch on either side of the center of the BP
cavity tuning, depending on the inductance of the loops. If you find the cap
adjustment not enough then a higher value cap may be required. The BP tuning is
very broad and should be adjusted first for best return loss. Then the notch
can be adjusted. Appropriate shielding should be provided around the variable
cap and the open coax before using in the final configuration.
If you have any problems or questions I will be willing to help. Just ask.

Allan Crites WA9ZZU

--- On Mon, 2/1/10, NORM KNAPP <nkn...@twowayradio.net