At 12:51 PM 02/20/10, you wrote:
>Thanks to those whom commented. I like the idea of being able to have
>someone else spend time on scanning manuals instead of me for a little
>money.

Some of the former Kinkos stores (now "Fedex Office") have the wide
scanners, some don't.
Kinkos got started in the 1980s by putting copier centers around
the Cal State university campuses, and then later on they added
a bunch of the larger community colleges.  Then they expanded
nation wide.
I've found that the store nearest to a campus (in my case, the one
nearest to Cal Tech) has the equipment.

In the past when I've been asked about finding a large format scanner
or printers I just tell folks to look in the yellow pages for Kinkos stores,
then to call them and ask if they have the scanner and roll feed printer.
If that particular store does not, they know which one does.

Or look for blueprint shops. If the Kinkos shop equipment is down I use
a blueprint shop that I found by asking a small architectural firm who
they use for roll feed printing.  I called them up and they charge for
scanning or printing by the square foot.
They handle USB flash ("thumb" or "pen") drives, CDs, or even bring in a
USB or Firewire interfaced hard drive.

Every place I've talked to will do individual pages out of a file.  As an
example, a while back I walked into a shop with a flash drive that had
one file on it (just to make it easy for them) and had them print twelve
specific pages out of a 50 page document on their roll feed printer.

>However, it's also good to know how to do it myself when I have
>only one or two items as a time.

Stitching software is always a last resort.  And as Eric said, use the
smallest file format possible - monochrome if you can, grey scale is
a second choice, color as a last resort.
If it's a color-coded PCB layout (pink for one side, grey for the other,
black for both) there's not much you can do.

>One of these days I hope to see a manual library on a website...
>I will certainly offer all the manuals in PDF that I have.

And <www.repeater-builder.com> isn't just that?

Where else do you find complete ACC, AEA, Astron, ComSpec,
CAT Auto, Connect Systems, CCP, E.F. Johnson, GE, GLB,
Hamtronics, Icom,  Kenwood, Midland, Motorola, Radio Shack,
Regency / Relm, Ritron, Scom, Spectrum, Standard, Tait, Uniden,
Yaesu/Vertex, and Zetron manuals in PDF ?

Or antenna system products by AEA, Andrew, Cellwave, Decibel,
Phelps-Dodge, Sinclair, Telewave, TX-RX, Wacom ?

Not to mention test equipment by Bird, Boonton, Cushman, DSI,
Heath, Helper, Hewlett-Packard, IFR, Marconi, Ramsey, Tektronix,
Triplett, and Wavetek ?

>~Benjamin, KB9LFZ

Mike WA6ILQ