Hi everyone,
 A while ago I was troubleshooting a bad feedback or "growl" problem
that was impacting a UHF repeater, of which the short term workaround
was to not encode TX PL (PL or DPL would keep it locked until the signal
dropped enough or timed out).

 In doing some more research, I found a 1250kHz AM station within a mile
or two that changes pattern between day and night. The interference
mentioned above would appear around drive times (like 5pm) so that had
me chasing other sources. Still, it was puzzling that a 5Mhz signal
could be causing the feedback (it didn't appear when doing normal
receiver testing with a service monitor). The recent give away was that
I could hear talking underneath my test signal (like a sports show).

 So, if we take the 1250Khz signal or 1.25Mhz x 4 = 5Mhz. I realize that
the 4th harmonic of a 5KW broadcast station isn't very powerful, but
being in its nearfield might be enough to cause a mix with the UHF
transmit output.

 Does this make sense? This phenomenon can be duplicated with both a 450
and 440 repeater system - both with standard 5Mhz offsets. I don't think
any sort of filtering would work since the mix happens "in the air".
Only by having split PL's can the lockup be prevented, and equipment was
both MSF5000 and Micor systems, through correctly tuned duplexers.

Thanks,
Tony