From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ed Yoho
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:12 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Micor UHF Repeater Base 9.6 vdc
currentrequirement?

DCFluX wrote:
> In that case Just a straight 7809 or 7810 also would not require
> isolating the tab and can be mounted straight to the metal chassis.
>
>> If it were me, I'd just use a 9 or 10 volt three terminal regulator
>> (7809 or 7810) and skip the whole LM-317 or diodes in the ground leg
>> deal. It only serves to make the circuitry more involved , harder to
>> mount, and for NO advantage whatsoever.
>>
>> Kevin Custer

Folks might consider using an LM2940-9 or LM2940-10 (or another LDO
regulator) instead of the 7809 / 7810 as the dropout voltage is much
lower (0.5V on the 2940 versus 2V on the 78xx typical).

This would allow regulation to continue down to an input of 10.5 (-10)
or 9.5 (-9) volts. The 7810 will lose regulation at around 12V and the
7809 at around 11V input.

Not overly important if the system is being powered from a regulated
supply, but if via batteries..............

Ed Yoho
W6YJ