From: "n...@no6b.com" <n...@no6b.com>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, February 27, 2010 6:25:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Micor UHF Repeater Base 9.6 vdc current
requirement?

At 2/25/2010 12:36, you wrote:

>Build it yourself. Use an LM7808 and and series two 1N4001's to lift the
>ground lead up by 1.4 volts. I know 7809's are around but the 7808 is much
>more common and cheaper.

One thing to watch out for in lifting the ground pin above ground on the
78xx series devices is that a momentary short of the output to ground can
destroy the device, IOW the integral short circuit protection is
effectively defeated.  You'll also need to use insulating hardware if you
want to heat sink the regulator by mounting it to the (grounded) chassis.

The cleanest, easiest solution may simply be an LM317 set to 9.6 V output.

Bob NO6B