> "Eric Lemmon" <wb6...@...> wrote:
> Skipp,
> I agree with nearly every point you made, having had
> experience with both the Kenwood and Hamtronics repeaters.
> However, Hamtronics and similar repeaters have one serious
> deficiency: A total lack of PA protection against high SWR
> due to antenna or feedline problems.  In addition, the Hamtronics
> PAs have no active power control circuitry; if the supply
> voltage goes up, the output power goes up, and vice-versa.
> The Kenwood TKR-x50 repeaters, on the other hand, have both
> active power control and high SWR protection built-in.

Well... one might expect and/or hope a properly current protected
RF PA to draw excessive current in a fault condition and trip the
breaker or pop/open the fuse.

It also takes a pretty hard fault to kill the PA... one "should" normally
notice a power/signal level problem well before damage
occurs. And of course the repeater should be operating off a
Regulated Power Supply.

The more famous surplus commercial radio 224 MHz conversions
replace the PA with a Hybrid RF Amplifier Module... wonder if
they also include SWR Protection?

> I have a Hamtronics REP-200 repeater in service right now
> on 224.500 MHz, and I took the precaution of hanging a single
> ferrite isolator on its TX output to protect the very simple
> 15 watt PA.  So far, so good...
> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

With proper care and feeding your repeater should last for
decades. If Kenwood Made an easily obtainable 224 MHz repeater
I'd probably have a few already.

But I also still enjoy building things from scratch so a
224 MHz repeater using various modules is very practical
and still quite fun.

cheers,
s.