Reverse threaded connectors are used to get a piece of equipment past
FCC type acceptance.
The type acceptance paper work specifies the antenna that is used for
acceptance.
Any other antenna voids the type acceptance.

Since reverse threaded connectors are not available to the general
public, the FCC bought off on this to prevent the antenna from being changed.

Another trick that is used is a connector with the wrong sex center
conductor pin.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV