Have the original in use on a 2 meter repeater - it works fine - I love the
serial programming for the ID and parameters. Can't do it remote, but I have
not had a need to.  I will be getting one of the new models sometime to play
with.  One comment - he does have protection on the two main inputs but there
are some that are directly to the PIC - he warns not to exceed 5 volts on those
- believe me - he isn't kidding - the chip can be blown INSTANTLY - I know from
experience.  Great little product - the new version has several worthwhile
improvements and at $25 it's hard to beat.

73 - Dan