On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, James Adkins wrote:
> We are considering installing a 2-meter repeater, standard 600 kHz
> spacing, with separate antennas for transmit and receive, looking at
> phasing together 2 DB-228's for RX and 2 DB-228's for TX and using a
> high-power transmitter, such as a Motorola Nucleus at 250-300w or
> other high-power transmitter. Does anyone have a formula or know what
> formula would need to be used to determine the amount of vertical
> separation needed to provide the isolation required for such a duplex
> operation?

> We are wanting separate TX and RX antennas because of plans to have the
> repeater on a
> platform located 1200' in the air, and heliax runs are not practicable.

There's a chart on the repeater-builder website from GE's older
information.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/thoughts-on-isolation.html
http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/separation.html

In short, you're going to have a lot of coax in use already with a
DB-2216. You should still have cans on the receiver side, as well as a
notch can (rated for the power level) on the transmit side. You may be
able to locate the appropriate notch-type can from paging company
surplus. Typically they have 7/16" DIN connectors and are aperture
coupled between cans.

The receive side will need a notch cavity for the transmitter frequency,
and some form of a bandpass filter to prevent other signals from causing
front-end overload.

Just one DB-228 at 500+ ft HAAT will cover out to 100 miles. There's a
repeater 35 miles northeast of my apartment that I can work on an HT in
my living room. I sit at about 900 ft AGL; the repeater is at 1300 ft
AGL. I can work the machine from the laundromat as well -- at 750 ft
AGL.

I wish you much luck in this endeavor. It's a big project indeed.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst