The use of aluminum cable seemed to became popular when the cost of
copper was sky high.  It became cost effective for some companies
(according to the bean counters) to use aluminum.  Supply of copper was
beginning to become a problem, so some coax manufacturers were promoting
aluminum as a viable substitute.  Then the price of copper came down and
aluminum was not such a bargain.  Copper supplies went back up and
copper coax was readily available.

I believe that aluminum coax can be used effectively, but the chances of
having it installed properly are slim.  Cable crews are either not
trained or experienced at aluminum coax installation, or they lack the
proper tools to install the connectors.  Yes, aluminum coax has been
used successfully in the CATV business, but CATV does not have to deal
with the relatively weak receive signals and high transmit powers that
are used in two way systems.

I'll take copper any day.  As Jeff said, one site visit to fix a bad
aluminum cable connector on the top of the tower and you've lost all
that you saved plus more.

Jope