"Being an old school guy, I have to admit a certain bias against General RT
holders and even the new codeless ham guys. I've seen many General RT holders
who couldn't tune a broadcast radio to a local station let alone work on a
genuine 2-way radio. So sue me.. I'm only human :-)"

Yes! So have I; but I've seen many hams that can't do any better. AND, I've
seen a number of engineers that won't FIX a radio, they've got to MODIFY it to
"work better". Incompetents come in ALL flavors. My last (and final) employer
was heavily biased against hams of any kind. In my opinion, all that
accomplished was to narrow the field of good potential technicians greatly; and
he sure couldn't afford to do that. One of my most memorable interviews
consisted of, of course, the usual introductions, then a trip back to the
service area. Waiting, was a real live radio in need of repair. I was asked to
fix it. When I finished, I was thanked and told that I would be contacted. I'm
not going to tell you whether I got that job or not!