On 4/1/2010 9:57 PM, George Henry wrote:
> I suppose I should clarify: I don't do D-STAR, either. Moral objection to
> their use of a proprietary codec.

You're going to be a while on that soap box.  CODECs are almost
literally the only way to make any money in the audio streaming, video
streaming, and related technology worlds these days... mixed with
Patents, you won't see any high-quality free CODECs that can properly
encode voice at 4800 bps any time soon.

DVSI has ALL of that market locked up until someone hires a pile of
PhD's in math and goes after them.  And even then, they'd have to make a
significant impact on bandwidth utilized or voice quality over either
AMBE/AMBE2, or IMBE... to have a chance of dislodging the first player
to market... the only player to be written into multiple standards (P25,
D-STAR, even the TDMA-based things from Kenwood/Icom... all using DVSI
chipsets.)

Brilliant of them really... heavily patent-encumbered CODEC, super-high
price on using the CODEC in software, sell a $20 (in low-quantity,
slightly cheaper in high-quanity) chipset, in a market as small as 2-way
radio... they're making a bloody killing.  I'd love to know what the
development costs of the CODECs were... to see just how lucrative their
lock on the market(s) is.

But anyway... good luck finding a commercial product that doesn't use
their chipset anytime soon.  The next CODEC chipset maker is going to be
an "also-ran" forever, unless their mathematicians and algorithms are
uber-brilliant.

Nate WY0X