On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Chuck Kelsey wrote:
> Then I'm assuming that you'd agree that a typical ham-installed
> connector should probably have the center pin soldered?   Chuck WB2EDV

Whatever the connector is designed for. I solder them, my father solders
them, and three or four two-way radio shops I know of solder them. I
usually don't buy connectors that require the center-pin the be crimped.
There may be connector fit issues after soldering.

However, your typical ham-installed connector may be held on with
duct-tape and baling wire, glow red hot at times, and simultaneously
function as a 3x, 5x, 7x, 9x, and 11x multiplier and mixer at the same
time. Or it may simply be slipped onto the coax, held in place with a
friction fit and/or cold solder joint....

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst