I'm attempting to update an existing repeater system that currently uses a Hall
voter in tandem with a ComSpec TP-38 CTCSS repeater tone panel. The replacement
RF deck is a Kenwood TKR-850 Series I. The previous RF deck was a KSG-4500,
operating in a plain, dumb, duplexed TX / RX mode with no internal controller,
PL decode, etc. I used the ComSpec TP-38 in the repeat audio path following the
Hall voted audio to handle PL encode-decode, TOT, carrier delay/squelch tail,
etc.

Reading from the Repeater-Builder site, I came across the following comment
regarding use of an 850: "If you are using an external controller you set it to
"duplex base" mode, with COR on Aux out #1 and TOR (tone decode) on Aux out #2."

I would very much like to eliminate the need for the TP-38 external CTCSS unit
if at all possible, instead utilizing the TKR-850's INTERNAL PL encode/decode
capabilities, carrier delay, CW ID, etc. My questions is: If I program the 850
from "repeater" into "duplex" operation, do I lose all those features normally
found in "repeater" mode, rendering the 850 back to a "dumb" radio like its
predecessor? Assuming those features DO remain, how does one "break" the
normal, internal repeat audio path, since it will be necessary to route local
receiver audio out to the Hall voter for comparator operation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Simpson
MIDCOM, Inc.