  From: Tony KT9AC
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 8:09 AM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Mitreks as UHF Repeaters?

  Good question Paul. Remember the Mitrek RF decks are almost the same used in
the MSR2000 repeater, and with their tuned helical front end make great
receivers.

  For the transmitter however, I would not run it on its own. Also reducing the
power output below 50-66% of rating might cause spurious issues. The best is to
get a manual and bypass the PA, running driver power only. Then use an external
amp to get your power up to where you need it. This is how every Micor, MSR,
MSF repeater is designed. Motorola typically spec'd transmitters at 70.7% to
get the best balance from the parts, and typically used multiple stages to get
there (i.e. 200mW-2W-15W-50W).

  I recently picked up two 50W Mitrek Plus models that I will be using for
linking duty, and will be bypassing the PA on those as well. At only 10 miles
driver power only should work, but I have yet to complete that phase.

  Good luck on your project! You'll never know what duty cycle is needed during
an event, so better to overprepare than worry.

  Tony