As someone else suggested, you can probably pick a signal off the BUSY LED. I had a couple of these years ago and I remember that the transmit audio was kind of crappy. tinny sounding. I did a mod to help the mike audio, but it never sounded really good. This may be a drawback in using it for linking. You may have to play with the input audio to make it sound reasonably good.

73, Joe, K1ike