> We have been experimenting with building CTCSS Units using the
> 567 Tone Chip and good components, i.e. Caps, multi turn pots etc.
> The stability is not good in my opinion.

For encoding, there's a million PIC-based solutions on the net.
I designed my own, using a different PIC (12HV615) to reduce
extra components to minimal: it has a built-in voltage stabilizer
(no 78L05 needed, just a resisitor), and using bitstream D/A
so no external D/A network neccessary.
Using SMD will make it really, really small and cheap.
I can't publish the details yet as we plan to use the kit as a
fundraiser for the local amateur radio museum.

For decoder, check out http://www.mcarcoh.org/ke8rv/photo-sd.html,
specific the comments about his controller.
I exchanged mail with the designer and his design is facinating,
though not publically available, which is understandable.

I have good experiences with the TS-64 in my repeaters.
Note that you can configure it to encode and decode CTCSS at
the same time, so it's possible to re-generate CTCSS at the repeater output.

73,

Geert Jan