Hello Dave,

You may be able to improve the VSWR match, but the antenna may still not perform well. What kind of an antenna is it? If it is the typical fiberglass collinear antenna, the internal elements will be too short. Using a 154MHz antenna on 146.745MHz will mean that the elements will be about 5% too short. It is my understanding that when you shorten the elements on a collinear array by 2% you will get about a 3% down-tilt off the horizon of the antenna angle of radiation. Your antenna (if it is a collinear) will have quite a serious down-tilt with the 5% shorter elements. This may not be bad on a very high site covering very low terrain around it, or if you are trying to keep the signal from propagating much farther from the horizon. If the terrain that you are trying to cover is not much lower than the repeater site elevation you may have a coverage issue.

 Look At:
<www.ad4c.us/Antennas/collinearantenna.doc>
and look at his comments about down-tilt.

73, Joe, K1ike