I have been using a Samlex 20 amp switcher to float charge 4 six volt
golf car batteries wired in series parallel for the last 5 years,

The repeater and packet device are both Syntor X radios and have not
been off the air in over 4 years.

I keep the voltage set at 13.2 with the power supply wired direct to the
batteries (through a fuse of course) but find no reason to place a diode
in series as the supply must be already protected from back current flow.

I picked 13.2 volts because  electrolite loss is minimal at that
voltage, it may not be the optimum setup but it works for me.

I still need to figure out how to equilizie the batteries easily with
this set up.

tom