At 05:33 PM 7/1/2010, DW wrote:
>Larsen used to make a heavy duty yagi in the 430-450 MHz range
>(+11dBi ) for under $100.00.
>They still make the YA34xxYN series, but they don't list the ham
>split in the latest catalog.
>I need it for a control link from my repeater site (high winds, ice, etc..).
>
>Does anyone know of a decent 440 yagi that is still being manufactured?
>
>Thanks,
>David, AC4JF

I've been specifying the PcTel (Maxrad) BMOY series antennas for
installation in a system where they had been using the MYA
series.  The MYA has an exposed gamma match, which I'm not thrilled
about, and is very time consuming to tape up the RF connection, and
thus generally not done correctly...but there are ~100 of those in
use for about 9 years now without any specific antenna failures that
I'm aware of.

The BMOY series antenna places the N connector on the rear of the
boom, and the driven element matching is internal to the
antenna.  Sealing the antenna connection is very easy.  There are
about 70 more BMOY series antennas in use in this same system for
about 7 years now, and again I've not heard of any failures, though
on one that I had been using for DFing interference, I did manage to
crack off the driven element base insulator.  In DF use, I did notice
that the 5 element BMOY's pattern wasn't as clean as an old 5 element
Decibel Products antenna I also had on hand.

The MYA's tend to have finicky tuning, and I've never seen one sweep
correctly out of the box.  Close enough probably, but not optimized
either.  The BMOY's are broad band, with one model covering 406-440
MHz and another from 440-480 MHz.

At cost, they are a good value, with a BMOY4405 going for about $100.

There are better, and correspondingly more expensive, antennas, but
this is one that I've used that's proven to be a good value.

I'm interested in hearing others comments on this topic as well.

--Dave / KA9FUR