Stan,

Ugh!

That will make it extremely difficult to figure out what is going on.
What cards are in the cage?

Typically it should have PL card and R1 Audio card (these are installed
horizontally above the normal vertical cards), Squelch gate card  and Station
control card.  It might also have a time out card and Line  card.

Is the pacific research controller with the repeater?

I'm not sure where to tell you to start.  Examine each card for any  mods.
Collect as much documentation as you can about what was done.

Basically a controller requires a COR signal from the receiver, a PTT to
the transmitter, Receiver audio going to the controller, TX audio from the
controller to the transmitter, and a PLL indicate.  If the controller is
still there you can work backwards from there.  There are several places  where
these signals are available.  Either on individual cards or from the
backplane.  Look for additional jumpers on the backplane.  In original
condition
there are NO jumpers from any of the backplane pins.

Get yourself some manuals.  I can try to help you as much as I  can.  The
receive signal flow is from the receiver to the R1 audio  card.  This card
has the local volume control and the squelch  control.  It provides the audio
amp and squelch circuitry for the  receiver.  From the receiver the signal
also goes to the PL and Squelch  gate card.  The PL card decodes (and
provides receiver filtering if so  jumpered) PL and sends it to the Squelch
gate
card.  The squelch gate card  processes the audio from the R1 card and sends
it to the transmitter.  It  also provides the transmitter keying signal.  The
keying signal goes to the  Station control card through the front panel
card controls.  From there it  goes to the transmitter.  There is also
circuitry for delaying the de-key  of the transmitter to accomodate the reverse
PL
burst.

Bill - WA0CBW

In a message dated 7/6/2010 9:03:12 A.M. Central Daylight Time,