> "Dave" <dave_g7...@...> wrote:
> Hi All, I have rescently obtained a uhf pair of cavities
> that are not silver plated inside (bare copper) They both
> have an insertion loss of 3dB....

In this example the 3dB insertion loss is not is not
affected (to any significant value) by the lack of silver
plating.

> If I were to get them silver plated what would the
> improvement be?

The person/business you pay to complete the plating has an
improved income.

> I have no idea how much it would cost but if the saving
> was only about 0.5dB I wouldn't bother.

Don't bother...

> Your thoughts please?

I try not to have any...

> Cheers Dave UZN

Never watched the show and I believe it was on the UPN out here.
:-)

On a more serious note... you might look around for pictures
and descriptions of the very famous Motorola T-1500 series of
cavities often made into various combination of duplexer
assemblies. They are not plated and they work very well. The
insertion loss is set by the probe type and position.

s.